In our last Ofsted inspection, in 2014, we received a grading of ‘Good’, and inspectors noted a number of ‘Outstanding’ features.
Some of the key points highlighted in report include:
• AS-level students make exceptional progress
• Outstanding enrichment programme
• Students benefit from excellent support and are well prepared for university life
• Teaching and learning are outstanding in maths and humanities
• Staff set high standards and have ambitious targets for improving students’ achievements
• The effectiveness of leaders and managers is outstanding
You can read our full Ofsted report here.
We are delighted to have been awarded the CPD Mark for excellence in Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
CPD means that our staff take part in workshops to maintain and improve their professional skills, largely through sharing ideas and exchanging resources.
A report by CPD praised Joseph Chamberlain College for:
• The understanding by members of the College of the policies and practices which are in place to ensure that the vision is fulfilled.
• The experience and determination of the Leadership Team.
• The strategic leadership and management of CPD.
• The determination to provide effective training and develop a valid and reliable method of evaluating impact and ‘best value’.
We are extremely proud to hold such a prestigious award, and look forward to developing our use of CPD in the future.
Silver Award from UK Investor in Equality & Diversity (UKIED)
In 2014, we received the Silver Award from UK Investor in Equality & Diversity (UKIED). The award recognises our achievements in establishing and promoting equality & diversity, safeguarding and equal opportunities throughout the College.
For more information on equality & diversity at Joseph Chamberlain College, visit or Equality and Diversity page here.
Gold Standard Careers Accreditation
In December 2015, Joseph Chamberlain College received a Gold Standard Careers Accreditation. We were one of four educational institutions awarded an accreditation for our careers provision by The Central Quality Award Accreditation. The Quality Award in Careers, Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) from careers service Prospects is designed to accredit good practice and encourage development in schools, academies, colleges, special schools and smaller units. Quality awards lead to better careers and guidance programmes, increase senior managers’ and governors’ involvement and demonstrate to outside organisations, including Ofsted, that schools provide high quality CEIAG. We are the only sixth form college in Birmingham to have achieved gold standard – the highest level of accreditation.
The Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) Award and licence
Joseph Chamberlain College is proud to hold The Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) Award and licence. The licence recognises the College as an Approved Activity Provider (AAP) and allows us to run a Duke of Edinburgh Award Programme for our students, providing expedition, residential and volunteering opportunities to participants.
To find out more about our Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programme and other enrichment opportunities, visit (link to Students →JCC Extra – Our Enrichment Programme).
Bishop Challoner Catholic College’s Teaching School Alliance (TSA)
Joseph Chamberlain College is a key member of Bishop Challoner Catholic College’s Teaching School Alliance (TSA). The TSA is a partnership of 43 schools from around the West Midlands, with the majority located in the Birmingham area, and others throughout Dudley, Solihull, Walsall and Worcestershire. Of all of these educational institutions, we are the only sixth form college to be a member.