Updated – 2nd July 2020 at 9:30am
The safety of our students, staff and wider community is our highest priority. Our advice and responses are accurate as of the 2nd July 2020 but we will continue to update our community as and when information becomes available. We closely follow government and Public Health England updates and will ensure that all actions are in accordance with their advice.
For the most recent information to parents and carers, please click here
For the letter to parents and carers from the Principal, please click here
Students and staff are currently working from home. Teaching, learning and pastoral support are continuing remotely. We are, however, available for our vulnerable students and the children of key workers. All students and parents have our current contact details for any enquiries and assistance.
Visit the pages below for further information regarding Coronavirus, self-isolation and guidance for education.
- NHS: Coronavirus information
- Public Health England: Coronavirus Q&A
- Public Health England: Self-isolation information
- Public Health England: Stay at home guidance
- UK Government: Guidance for educational settings
- UK Government: Find out the steps the UK government is taking
- World Health Organization: Find out more about Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
- What will happen to my exams?
- Nothing is certain on this issue so far. The curriculum will continue as normally as possible as we await further details.
- What is the situation for students who have already applied and been offered a conditional offer?
- This offer still stands and we will review the grades awarded at enrolment. Once the plan for awarding grades has been agreed, we will respond with any necessary adjustments to ensure that students are enrolled on the right course.
- What if students who have applied but not had an interview (or missed an interview)?
- We are currently contacting applicants to arrange a telephone interview based on their application. Where possible we have requested that references are sent by schools or emailed by the student, however, given the circumstances, we may have to make provisional offers based on the application and interview but will seek a reference at some later stage.
- What about students who want to apply but haven’t yet?
- The online application has now been closed. Any applications received on 29th May 2020 or before will be processed as quickly as possible and telephone interviews will be scheduled.
At Joseph Chamberlain College we value the work that many of our parents do to keep our country operating. Many parents working in the sectors detailed below may be able to ensure their child is kept at home. If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they should be.
- Health and social care
- Education and childcare
- Key public services
- Local and national government
- Food and necessary goods workers
- Public safety and national security
- Utilities, communication, and financial services
If your work is critical to the COVID-19 response, or you work in one of the critical sectors and you cannot keep your child safe at home then your children will be prioritised for education provision. If this applied to you please call our parental helpline on 07584 623040 to discuss your child being supported in the college.