Joseph Chamberlain College is proud to announce that we’ve again been recognised for our outstanding careers work. The college has been awarded the national Gold Quality in Careers Standard, awarded under licence by Prospects. Prospects claim, “the Quality in Careers Standard is awarded to education providers who can demonstrate the importance they place on careers and how they support students to make decisions about their life after college”. Congratulations to Jas Lall, our Careers Adviser, who has continued to work tirelessly to promote the service and arranged many trips and talks for students.
Some of the events over the last academic year have included:
- JCC Careers Fair
- JCC Higher Education Fair
- Business, ICT and Media students attending the Skills Show Live at Birmingham’s NEC
- Media students attending a taster day at the University of Wolverhampton
- Coventry University representatives visiting the College to speak to Health and Social Care students
- Transport for West Midlands, HS2 and Midland Metro Alliance working with Business students on Birmingham’s transport developments
- JCC staff attending careers fairs at local secondary schools
- Arts workshop by The Barber Institute
- College interviews with prospective students
- Student Finance England presentation
- Work experience placements
- Apprenticeship week for vocational subjects
- BCU biomedical science talk and practical session
- Conference call with journalist Jez Fredenburgh for business students
JCC is continually working towards the national Quality in Careers Standard. This week’s Gold award is valid until 2022, renewing the award we have held since 2016. Prior to that we achieved Quality Standard for three years so are extremely proud to have progressed upwards to the highest accreditation.
The Government recommends that all colleges work towards the national Quality in Careers Standard as part of the statutory duty to provide career support to students. Achieving the national Quality in Careers Standard shows how our principal, governors and senior leadership team embrace and promote quality careers education while recognising how vital the provision is as part of the overall college experience. Congratulations again to all involved!