At JCC, we are highly experienced in supporting students with special educational needs and/or disabilities. Our level of expertise allows us to anticipate the adjustments required to promote an inclusive learning experience for all. Following disclosure of your child’s individual learning and/or medical needs, a key worker will meet with them to create a tailored support and care plan that is individual to them. This will happen well in advance of their first day in the classroom to ensure the right level of support is provided in time for the first day of teaching.
What support can the College provide?
Both post 16 and higher education students will benefit from regular mentoring, reviews, monitoring and specialist support. Our state of the art accessible building, classrooms and independent study areas coupled with highly experienced teaching and support staff means that all students have every opportunity to be a confident, independent learner. This is an example of just some of the additional support we are able to provide for your child:
- An individual support plan that is unique to them with an emphasis on promoting independence
- We will ‘parachute’ support in line with their achievement, allowing for additional support when required and maximising opportunities for independence
- We will ensure their teachers, tutors and key workers are trained by experts in the field of your child’s Special Educational Needs or Disabilities
- A well-resourced independent study environment that supports and enhances their learning experience
- We can lend them specialist equipment, such as a reader pen, dictaphone or a coloured overlay
- Tutoring to enhance their reflective learning skills
- Support through the transition to HE qualifications, while guiding them to be their own advocate
- We will apply for exam access arrangements in line with their normal way of working
- Access to onsite counselling, mentoring and medical consultations
- Dual consolation with local authority and school representatives to assess their needs and strengths
- Access to a personal progress tutor
- Access to a personal key worker who will act as their advocate and liaise with teachers and parents/carers about their personal and academic progress
The college building is fully wheelchair accessible with ground floor step-free access, lifts to all levels, spacious disabled toilets and reserved parking bays. If your child has any additional needs, please let us know so we can arrange suitable adjustments for them.
If you would like some advice and guidance before, during or after the application process please click here or contact our Inclusive Learning Support Manager/SENCO, Laura Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org / 0121 446 2215.
You can also find more information about inclusive learning support here at JCC in our SEN Annual Report.
The Local Authority offers impartial information, advice and support to children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities, for further information please click here.