The Staff Community
JCC is an extremely welcoming college. We pride ourselves on the College’s inclusive and friendly atmosphere and new staff quickly become part of the family. Every summer we host an event to welcome new staff and thank existing staff for their hard work throughout the year. We have an absolute zero tolerance on harassment and bullying and have no recorded instances.
Staff at Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College are able to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Holiday Entitlement: The College offers a generous holiday entitlement to support staff, starting with 22 days, plus 8 bank holidays and 5 concessionary days. Staff are also required to set up to 2 days aside for the two week closure at Christmas. Teaching staff work term time only contracts.
- Pension: All members of support staff are eligible to join the West Midlands Local Government Pension Scheme. Teaching staff are eligible to join the Teachers’ Pension Scheme.
- Induction: The College provides a full induction program for all new staff.
- Staff Development: Staff have access to excellent development opportunities, both internal and external.
- Catering Facilities: The College has an onsite coffee shop and canteen, where drinks, snacks and hot and cold food are available to buy.
- BHSF: Discounted personal health care cover through the Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund is available for all staff at the college to join.
- Onsite Gym: Fitness sessions are available and some sports sessions are available to staff from Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm. A staff gym membership costs £5 a month but yoga, Zumba and sports sessions are free.
- Travel: The College has a limited amount of free onsite parking on a first come, first serve basis. The College offers a cycling purchase scheme and membership of a corporate travel scheme through Travel West Midlands. Staff are encouraged to use greener methods of transport.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
The College holds the Silver CPD Quality Award; an award for excellence in staff development in education. The award recognises the comprehensive range of professional development opportunities we offer and the impact that these have had on supporting teachers to improve their practice. We provide a programme of core development which is open to all staff on evenings across the year, teachers who complete five sessions can claim an additional day’s holiday in return. The College holds five full teacher training days over the year, covering various aspects of teaching and subject development. Read more about CPD here.
We are also part of the Bishop Challoner Teaching School Alliance through which there are many development opportunities, including a University of Warwick masters degree for only £4000 (normal cost £9000). We are also part of the Birmingham South Network; a collection of educational institutions which offer professional development for members.