On Wednesday 23rd October, JCC celebrated our annual Student of the Year Awards (previously the Beacon Awards). The evening celebrated students who demonstrated outstanding achievement, effort or progress. Students were nominated by their teachers in recognition of their fantastic work at College. This year, we invited both our current second year students and our 2019 leavers, choosing one winner per subject from each year group.
Students returned to College with their families to enjoy a drinks reception and delicious meal before the ceremony began. As each winner was announced, their awards were presented on stage by Principal Tony Day. We were delighted to welcome BBC broadcast journalist and speaker, Ashley John-Baptiste, as our guest of honour this year. Ashley spoke about his journey from growing up in care to studying at Cambridge University and starring in the X Factor, before giving an incredible vocal and piano performance. Throughout the evening, we were also treated to a number of fantastic performances from the Birmingham Theatre School, Break Mission hip-hop dancers and Dhol Unit traditional drummers. Thank you to all of our extremely talented guest performers, who all received rapturous applause from the audience.
Congratulations to everyone who won a Student of the Year Award!
Some of the evening’s top awards went to:
- The Principal’s Award for Exceptional Contribution: Anam Ali
- The Principal’s Award for Exceptional Personal Development: Noreen Talib
- The Principal’s Award for Exceptional Effort: Jannat Bokhari
- The Principal’s Award for Exceptional Achievement (Male): Jamil Ahmed
- The Principal’s Award for Exceptional Achievement (Female): Shukri Ahmed Hussein
- Sports Woman of the Year: Afrah Abdul Ali
- Sports Man of the Year: Ibrahim Hussein