Are you a Young Carer?
Joseph Chamberlain College acknowledges that some students are young carers and consequently have extra responsibility looking after the welfare a parent, sibling or extended family member.
We are committed to helping you to ensure that you can balance your study and caring commitments. We will do this in several ways.
- Contact your secondary school and communicate with them for an initial handover so we can put support in place for the start of the academic year.
- Signpost you to agencies that can provide you with extra guidance and advice.
- Assist you with your bursary applications and any travel requirements.
- Have a joint Support Plan created with your tutor so we can work together to ensure you get the best out of your time with us
- Issue you with a student’s Young Carers Card
- Help access mental health and wellbeing services, if required.
Please speak to your Progress Tutor or phone the College’s Safeguarding Officer on 0121 446 2214 for further support. Please also visit https://www.spurgeonsyc.org/birmingham/